In a post-pandemic world where users have become the new perimeter and demand secure access to data and applications from anywhere, anytime, in addition to a gradual migration of services to the cloud, the traditional network security model is obsolete and absolutely unable to handle this new paradigm, even becoming a bottleneck that hinders daily business needs.
Therefore, companies need a new approach that can redefine the traditional perimeter and protect a distributed workforce. Thus was born in 2019 with Gartner a new model called Secure Access Service Edge (SASE), a total reformulation of networks and their architecture that can help companies cope with the new and countless security needs born with the digital revolution. SASE, in fact, addresses all new challenges by moving the network perimeter from the buildings to the user, thereby achieving greater security and greater visibility into network activity.
What is the Secure Access Service Edge?
SASE is not a produSASE is not a product; it is a mindset, a discipline, which requires continuous monitoring, detection and evolved response to threats.ct; it is a mindset, a discipline, which requires continuous monitoring, detection and evolved response to threats. By combining network and network security, it provides secure access to all users through the application of session-based security policies that allow granular control, rather than relying on individual devices or networks, as was previously the case. An ecosystem that allows users to access data and applications in a secure and controlled manner from anywhere.
The advantages of adopting a SASE approach
- Security: through the implementation of the Zero Trust model, each session is inspected and authorized in real time, allowing to know who is surfing the network and thus protecting assets internally and externally.
- Reduced complexity: Cloud-based infrastructure allows all security components to be integrated into a single solution, minimizing the number of security products that the IT team must manage, update and maintain.
- Reduced costs: using one platform dramatically eliminates CAPEX costs associated with using different products and solutions
- Improved performance: With multiple connections active at the same time, it is possibile to easily and securely connect to the Internet, applications and corporate resources wherever you are.
- Threat prevention: With comprehensive content inspection built into SASE, enhanced security and visibility over the network can be ensured.
- Access control: Through modern protection policies within a SASE framework, access to resources is constantly controlled, ensuring high data protection.
Once we understand the problems that have arisen with the digital revolution, the effective security of networks and their ability to respond to new threats, and also understand how SASE can provide a unified strategy of security services, it is time for every company to evaluate SASE as the breakthrough to confidently meet the challenges of adopting cloud models and a dislocated workforce.
Certainly the benefits that choosing this model would bring, through proper implementation, would eliminate almost all of the current problems that every company has to deal with on a daily basis as well as also being considered a facilitator of digital transformation itself.